Scripting Advice - Start and End date of Quarter

rayonsusan
rayonsusan Member Posts: 2

Hi All,

I have a scenario where I need to find the start and end dates of Quarter. How to calculate Quater Start and End Date from Time Dimension using script?

I found a post regarding this, but I couldn't get the answer. 

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Thank You in advance! 

Best Answer

• rayonsusan
    rayonsusan Member Posts: 2
    edited October 10 Answer ✓

Thank You so much guys!! You are all really helpful. It gave me an idea.

I ended up using the below code and it worked for me. I am posting this hoping it would help somebody who needs it.

DATEADD(DAY, -1, DATEADD(QUARTER, DATEDIFF(QUARTER, 0, [Datecolumn]) + 1, 0)) AS 'Quarter End Date'

Explanation: Let’s say we want to find the end date of the quarter for October 8, 2024.

• Calculate the number of quarters:
    • DATEDIFF(QUARTER, 0, '10-08-2024') returns the number of quarters from the base date to October 8, 2024.
    • Add one quarter:
      DATEADD(QUARTER, DATEDIFF(QUARTER, 0, '10-08-2024') + 1, 0) gives us the start date of the next quarter, which is January 1, 2025.

Subtract one day:
    DATEADD(DAY, -1, '01-01-2025') gives us December 31, 2024, which is the end date of the quarter for October 8, 2024.

This would result as:
    Input Date:
    10-08-2024

Quarter End Date: 12-31-2024

Answers

• Riina Silverberg
    Riina Silverberg Member, Staff, Staff Moderator Posts: 13
    edited October 9

Hi rayonsusan,

Can you clarify couple of things, please.

1. Are we talking about a standard year ie Q1=Jan to March, Q2=April to June, etc?
    2. Are you using the resulting dates in a script, calculation? Is there a need for the date to be in certain format?

Riina

• pijpema
    pijpema Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 6

Suggest you verify if the data in Financial Periods can help you. In table tfgld007 you can find the start-dates of the months by year. With that you also know the day before. Usually one of the 3 period types matches a calendar year.

• Fabiano Silva
    Fabiano Silva Member Posts: 19

@rayonsusan

Do you tried the function utc.add() ?

If you have a start day, you just put to add 3 months

in_utc = date.to.utc(2024,1,1,0,0,0)    

res = utc.add( in_utc, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, ou_utc )

I hope help you!