Parameter filter to be used with getpromptvalue in Dashboards

Henrik
Henrik Member Posts: 3

Hello

We have a need within our company to make price simulations, or “What -if” analyses.

Our aim is to simulate list price with different percentage increases.

I have read the documentation about “Getpromptvalue” and there they make examples of making a parameter filter that you refer to in a KPI or report by using the “Getpromptvalue”.

This is exactly what we need. A parameterfilter with different percentages.

My problem is that I can’t get the parameter filter to work with my KPI?

The function works perfect if you use a standard attribute e.g Time.Year. But when I try to make a filter that is outside the normal hierarchies, it doesn’t work.

Does someone know what the best way is to make a custom parameter filter with different percentages e.g 1,2,3,4 etc in Dashboards.

Below I have attached the way I would like it to behave. My feeling is that I make something wrong with the parameter filter.

Many thanks

/Henrik

Best Answer

• Henrik
    Answer ✓

Hello again Riina

I got it to work now! It was the naming of the filter that made it wrong. So many thanks for your valuable input. Really appreciate that!

Take care

/Henrik

Answers

• Riina Silverberg
    Riina Silverberg Member, Staff, Staff Moderator Posts: 13

Hi Henrik,

Just to confirm what you're trying to do:

1. Have dashboard users choose a percentage from a prompt for a what-if calculation
    2. Do a calculation based on the chosen percentage
    3. Show the chosen percentage in a KPI

Steps 1 & 2 work, but step 3 does not?

• Henrik

Hello Riina

Thanks for your reply.

In simple forms I would like to have a report in a dashboard.

One of the columns will simulate a price (lets say take invoiced amount times 5)
    I then would like to have a filter with predefined figures that take the getpromptvalue and display it in the report.

So if I set filter =4, I want it to take the invoiced amount times 4 etc.

So my problem is that I cant to get the filter to work i think.

Many thanks for any input you may have.

/Henrik

• Riina Silverberg

Hi Henrik,

It looks like your syntax is fine. I did some testing and the problem might be with casting to Float. Can you test it with Integer instead? I know it does not fix the issue, if you want to use decimal numbers with your prompt.

Riina

• Riina Silverberg

Glad to hear you got it to work! GetPromptValue is a great function, especially when dealing with things like financial reports with a different timeframe in each column 🤓